City Council approves new rate adjustment for Athens Services to comply with new green waste disposal laws
In a unanimous vote, the City Council approved a rate adjustment for Athens Services to help comply with a new green waste disposal law known as AB-1594.
Beginning on January 1, 2020, the law mandates that green waste can no longer be disposed of in the same way as was previously permitted. To fulfill the requirements of AB-1594, Athens will need to transport green waste to an organics composting facility in Victorville City to be processed and recycled. This additional transportation and processing – in turn – increases the costs of Athens’ operations and services.
The rate increase on Athens service bills will be identified as an AB-1594 compliance fee. There will be no changes to the residential trash pick-up services.
City Council reviews accessory dwelling units and junior accessory dwelling unit zone text amendment
Back in October 2019, the state adopted multiple bills that redefined the development of accessory dwelling units and junior accessory dwelling units. Any ADU ordinance that is not in compliance with the amended state law becomes void on January 1, 2020.
As a result of the new state law, City staff introduced a new ordinance to amend zoning definitions and development standards to allow ADUs and junior ADUs in all zones that allow single or multi-family units.
You may read more about the new ordinance here.
City Council approves resolution for temporary street closures during City events
Every year, the City hosts twelve street events in the Mission District and in the San Gabriel Village. These festivals take place along Mission Drive, Santa Anita Street, Broadway and Fairview Avenue.
To accommodate the events, specific streets must be closed to traffic. The City anticipates the following events for 2020:
- Lunar New Year Festival on February 8, 2020
- Cinco de Mayo on May 1, 2020
- Surf’s Up on June 11, 2020
- FairviewCon on June 25, 2020
- 4th of July and Kid’s Day on July 4, 2020
- Boba Fest on August 1, 2020
- National Night Out on August 4, 2020
- Dumpling & Beer Fest on October 2, 2020
- Fall Fun Festival on October 30, 2020
- Dia de Los Muertos on October 23 or November 6, 2020
- Turkey Trot on November 14, 2020
- Holiday Tree Lighting on December 1, 2020
In addition, the City Council also reviewed the following items:
- An update on housing efforts at the state, regional and local level. The City Council directed City staff to prepare a letter opposing SB50 and to prepare an inclusionary housing policy for the Council’s consideration.
- Approval of minutes for January 7, 2020
- Material demands and a cash and investment report