City Council reviews zone text amendment for accessory dwelling units
Back in October 2019, Governor Newsom signed Senate Bill 13, Assembly Bill 68 and Assembly Bill 881 that would amend California’s law on accessory dwelling units. Any law that’s not in compliance with the new state law becomes invalid. To comply with the state, the City introduced new ordinances that amend the zoning definitions and development standards.
You may read more about those standards here.
City Council reviews annual audit for the preceding fiscal year
In accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, the City Council reviewed an annual audit report from the accounting firm of White Nelson Diehl Evans LLP for the fiscal year that ended on June 30, 2019.
This report – known as the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report or CAFR – provides overall financial information of the City, basic financial statements and an overview that evaluates the City’s financial trends, revenue capacity, debt capacity and economic/demographic trends.
In previous years, the firm recommended that the City:
- Adopt a formal borrowing agreement for interfund loans, which the City Council did at the June 18, 2019 meeting
- Adopt a long term financial plan to alleviate the General Fund deficit and to build up the General Fund balance, which the City Council did at the January 15, 2019 meeting and the May 7, 2019 meeting.
You can read more about the City’s latest CAFR here.
City Council approves employee agreement with Kenneth Louie as Interim Finance Director
By a unanimous vote, the City Council approved an employee agreement with retired CalPERS annuitant Kenneth Louie for Interim Finance Director. This agreement removes outgoing Acting Finance Director Paula Chamberlain and adds incoming Interim Finance Director Kenneth Louie to the list of signature authorities on the City’s treasury/financial accounts.
In addition, the City Council also approved the following items:
- An amendment to the salary schedule to comply with the California minimum wage requirements, effective January 1, 2020
- Approval of minutes for the City Council meeting for December 3, 2019
- Material demands and a cash and investment report for November 2019
- Adoption of the City’s 2019-20 Citywide fee schedule
- An amendment to the City Manager’s employee agreement
- Agreement for use of Smith Park Pool by the San Gabriel Sea Gulls
- A theater rental fee waiver request for the American Chinese Cultural Association for their upcoming free performance on January 26, 2020