As we get closer to the San Gabriel Lunar New Year Festival on February 16, we wanted to give you an update on this year’s entertainment, food, and crafts along with information about parking.
- Artists and talent
- Festival stage schedule
- Food and drinks
- Crafts and merchendise
- Festival map
Artists and talent
This year, we’re happy to welcome several artists and entertainers to the Lunar New Year stage. Our traditional performances include:
- The Immortals Lion and Dragon Dance Troupe will be sharing the art of Chinese ceremonial lion and dragon dance at 11:00 a.m. with a lion dance and at 11:40 a.m. with a dragon dance
- EDI will be hosting traditional Chinese dance at 12:00 p.m.
- The Kazan Taiko will perform traditional Japanese taiko drumming at 1:00 p.m.
- Master Zhong will be performing the art of face change, one of the most confidential Chinese performing arts, at 1:20 p.m.
- The Hiza Yoo Korean Dance Institute will be showcasing traditional Korean dance at 1:40 p.m.
- Experience traditional Vietnamese dance with a performance by the Viet Cam Dance at 2:15 p.m.
- Our traditional segment of our festival will be hosted by Lancy Zhang and Tian Yi
We’re also happy to welcome the following contemporary acts:
- Award-winning composer and producer Alan Chan and his music group will present exciting original tunes and arrangements inside the Mission Playhouse at 3:00 p.m.
- Singer-songwriter Samica will be sharing her unique blend of Indian and American music at 4:00 p.m.
- Dance cover artists, Ellen & Brian, will share their love of K-Pop dance at 4:30 p.m.
- Katherine Ho, known for her Mandarin cover of Coldplay’s “Yellow” in Crazy Rich Asians, will be performing at 6:00 p.m with singer Cheryl K, known for her cover of “Money” in Crazy Rich Asians
- Run River North will be performing alternative rock on the main stage at 6:45 p.m. with Alex Hwang, Sally Kang and Daniel Chae
- Our contemporary segment will be hosted by Nicki Sun
If you’re looking forward to our Rising Stars Talent Competition at 5:00 p.m., we’re happy to announce our judges and competitors:
- Our judges for this year’s competition include Dia Frampton, Christine Chen and Richie Traktivist
- Our competitors include spoken word poet Alex Luu, singer-songwriter Maria Tuadi, singer Brendan Ly, vocal group NUNA, hip-hop artist MC Han, acoustic duo Dani W + Drew, and singer-songwriter Leo Xia.
Festival stage schedule
- 11:00 a.m. – Lion dance
- 11:10 a.m. – Opening ceremony
- 11:40 a.m. – Dragon dance
- 12:00 p.m. – EDI Programming: traditional Chinese dance
- 1:00 p.m. – Kazan Taiko
- 1:20 p.m. – Face change by Master Zhong
- 1:40 p.m. – Hiza Yoo Korean Dance Institute, traditional Korean dance
- 2:15 p.m. – Vietcam Dance, traditional Vietnamese dance
- 3:00 p.m. – Mission Playhouse stage: Alan Chan Moo-sic Group
- 4:00 p.m. – Samica, singer-songwriter
- 4:30 p.m. – Ellen & Brian, dance cover artists
- 4:50 p.m. – Chalk art contest winner announcement
- 5:00 p.m. – Rising Stars Talent Competition
- 6:00 p.m. – Katherine Ho & Cheryl K, singers
- 6:35 p.m. – Rising Stars winner announcement
- 6:45 p.m. – Run River North, alternative rock
Food and drinks
Festival goers and foodies can expect an incredibly diverse range of food and drinks at this year’s festival, including:
- Ridges Churro Bar will be serving delicious churros and ice cream sundaes
- Pick up some steamed buns from Steamy Bun Truck
- Hungry Belly Thai will feature Thai Asian fusion food and specialty drinks
- Squidies will have a variety of slush and tea drinks in a light bulb cup, alongside fried squid legs, fried baby octopus, shrimp and lobster balls, curly fries and mozzarella cheese sticks
- Foody Lab will be serving Taojiao drinks, Dan Hong Gao and Put Chai Ko
- Enjoy delicious Japanese pancakes, fried squid and shrimp, meat balls and lemonades at GAJA Japanese Food
- BBQ of Zian Jin will have lamb kebab, beef kebab, sizzling squids and Chinese pancakes
- Kai Kai Dumplings will have dumplings of all flavors, including pork, Sriracha beef, organic chicken and vegan alongside Taiwanese sesame noodles and boba tea
- Mister Potato will feature a twister potato, Korean BBQ, spicy chicken wings, ramen and slush drinks
- Enjoy a unique sushi burrito or sushi burger at Zumi Zuchi Burrito
- BBQ beef, lamb, kidney, shrimp and squid skewers will be available from Tasty Legend
- Waffleland will have waffles, watermelon juice, ice teas and rice noodles
- Hawaiian Honey Cones will serve their unique Hawaiian honey cones
- Woo’s Crepes will have fruit crepes, boba milk tea, Thai tea and green tea
- Kettle Corn King will have kettle corn and aguas frescas
- Seoul Street will have bibimbap, japchae, kimchi fried rice, jjajang fried rice, dumplings, rice cakes, Korean bulgogi fries and fruit refreshers
- You can pick up Korean inspired wings and loaded fries from Belly Bombz
Crafts and merchandise
- Emii Creations will have shirts, key chains, notebooks, stickers and art prints
- Alchemic Energies will have paintings, art prints, crystals, crystal necklaces, key chains, body butter and more
- Artist Chris Ouk will be selling art
- Lil be will have baby blankets, hooded towels, swaddles and family blankets
- Purchase totes, shirts, wallets, pins and art prints from Angry Little Girls
- Prints will be available from Sean Danconia
- Geometric Fossils will be selling geometric planters
- The Crafty Soaps will have natural homemade soaps, loofah soaps, body butters and beard oils
- Sakura Dragon will have prints, stickers and pins on hand
- Pattra’s Home will have yarn dolls, yarn keychains, denim dolls and more
- Artwork, paintings and prints will be on sale from Norah Art Surm
- Purchase funny food shirts from Bad Pickle Tees
- Cute Tea Egg will have homemade stickers, shirts and buttons on hand
- Original art and fan art will be available from Gyozados
- Jinlan Gift World will have New Year items and lanterns
- Traditional Chinese clothing, umbrellas and footwear will be available for purchase at Sharon Shoes
- Pick up hot sauce at Nam Prik
- Are you a gaming or anime fan? Goozee Pins will have custom gaming and anime pins available
- Forever Heart will have clothes, sunglasses and hats
- Meet a cat at the Moon Cat Cafe
- 3D phone accessories, LED balloons and more will be available at Dream45 inc.
Free parking for our festival can be found in three locations:
- San Gabriel City Hall, located at 425 South Mission Drive
- San Gabriel Mission Playhouse, located at 320 South Mission Drive
- San Gabriel Park and Ride Lot, located at 257 South Mission Drive
- San Gabriel Valley Medical Center, located at 239 South Santa Anita Street
The San Gabriel Lunar New Year Festival is presented by the City of San Gabriel along with EDI Media, The Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel, Athens, Tawa Supermarkets, Southern California Edison, the Pasadena Star News, Rose Hills, Citrus Pest & Disease Prevention, the San Gabriel Valley Medical Center, Southern California Gas, the Los Angeles Rams and Citizens Business Bank.
The San Gabriel Lunar New Year Festival will run from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on February 16 in the Mission District. Admission and parking is free.