The San Gabriel Fire Department would like to remind you to check the battery in your smoke alarm. When a smoke alarm fails, it’s usually because the battery is missing, disconnected or dead. Smoke alarms that are properly maintained play a significant role in reducing fire injuries and death. With a properly maintained smoke alarm, you can rest easy knowing that you’ve provided a way to warn those in your household should a fire occur.
Here are several quick tips on using and maintaining your alarm:
- Replace all batteries in smoke alarms twice a year (or whenever there’s a time change)
- Test your smoke alarms once a month
- Never remove the battery from a smoke alarm without a replacement
- Never cover or paint over a smoke alarm
- Practice exit drills so that everyone in your family knows what to do in case a smoke alarm goes off
If you have any questions regarding the use or maintenance of smoke alarms, please call the San Gabriel Fire Department at 626.308.2880. We’ll be happy to answer any of your questions.